The Gold Coast based seat of Moncrieff has been a Federal electorate represented by the Liberal Party since its creation in 1984.
Moncrieff is in the heart of the Gold Coast, which is considered the tourism and small business capital of Australia.
Moncrieff covers an area of approximately 92 sq km, and takes in the tourist strip from Miami to Southport.
Beyond its beautiful beaches, locals and visitors can enjoy breathtaking views over the Coast from the western suburbs of Nerang, Highland Park and Worongary.
The main suburbs that make up the federal electorate of Moncrieff include Ashmore, Benowa, Broadbeach, Broadbeach Waters, Bundall, Carrara, Highland Park, Main Beach, Mermaid Beach, Mermaid Waters, Miami, Nerang, Sorrento, Southport and Surfers Paradise.
Our Federal MP Steven Ciobo has been representing the people of Moncrieff since 2001.
The Gold Coast is the fastest growing region in the country. Our city has a reputation as Australia's small business and tourism capital, attracting some ten million visitors each year.
The city is also home to the world's tallest residential building, largest concentration of themed attractions in the southern hemisphere, and largest professional life guard service in Australia.
The electorate of Moncrieff boasts world renowned golf courses, great shopping centres, Jupiters Casino, the annual Blues Festival, Indy Carnival, the Prime Minister's Racing Carnival and the Magic Millions which attacts people from all over the world.
For those who enjoy relaxing at a slower pace, there are hundreds of award-winning restaurants in Moncrieff, featuring cuisine from across the globe.
The Naming of Moncrieff
As a child, she toured the State giving concerts and was advertised as 'Little Gladys the Australian Wonder Child'. A popular entertainer, Gladys Moncrieff became known as 'Australia's Queen of Song' and then 'Our Glad'. She died in 1976.
Gladys Moncrieff's interest in entertainment has had an enduring influence on the area.
Key Gold Coast Facts
- The Gold Coast's population is almost 500,000 - making it the second largest Local Government Area in Australia. The population is expected to increase to more than 680,000 residents by the year 2021.
- The Gold Coast is Australia's sixth largest city.
- Gold Coast City spans 1,402 sq kms and features 70 kilometres of coastline.
- The city's climate is sub–tropical with 287 days of sunshine each year. Our average water temperature is 22°C.
- The Gold Coast has a large broadwater and five major river systems.
- The Gold Coast hosts around 10 million visitors every year, both domestic and international.
- Our leading international markets include Japan, New Zealand, UK, China, Europe, Korea and Singapore.
- 75% of Queensland's film and television drama production happens on the Gold Coast due to our variety of locations, broadband communications and production facilities.
- Locals and visitors to the Gold Coast can enjoy more than 500 restaurants and cafes.
- The Gold Coast is home to the Sanctuary Cove International Boat Show which is the largest marine display in the southern hemisphere, with more than 4km of on-water marina displays plus pavilions and open-air exhibits.